Applying for a Partner Visa to Australia

Vision Direct
Sponsor ai1

How to Apply for a Partner Visa to Australia.

There are three ways to apply for a Partner Visa to be able to enter Australia with your Australian Citizen, or Australian Permanent Resident, partner.

If you are in Australia at the time you wish to apply, and your current visa does NOT have the “No Further Stay” condition, you apply for the subclass 820/801 Onshore Partner visa.

If you are OUTSIDE Australia at the time you wish to apply, and you are married, or have had an existing marriage like relationship for 12 months or more, you normally apply for the subclass 309/100 Offshore Partner visa.

If you are OUTSIDE Australia at the time you wish to apply, and you have only met for a short time, but plan to get married, then you would apply for the subclass 309 Prospective Marriage visa.

The application process is the same for each of these visas, and can be accessed at the Immigration website currently at:…/online

Form 40SP and 47SP are often mentioned. These are the old paper forms, and are now covered by the Online Application process. You do not need to complete a paper version, unless requested. (This is rare.)

Agoda Hotel Bookings
Sponsor ai10

These online forms are accessed at a page like this, in your IMMI account, after you have created it, using the link above.

This may change when the proposed new sponsorship rules are implemented.

Note: Stage 2, the Permanent Visa stage, is applied for 24 months after you apply for stage 1, and there is no further charge for this, as this is included in the initial fee for both the 820/801 and 309/100 applications.

Donations Welcome
$5.00 for a cup of coffee will keep me going.
Thank you to those who have sent me a coffee, it is very much appreciated.

Donations ai-8
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x