Grattan Institute report: Migrants in the Australian workforce.
A new report by the Grattan Institute stated that “86 per cent of employer-nominated visas were granted to people already in Australia, as were 90 per cent of ‘Skilled Independent’ permanent visas”.
The report ‘Migrants in the Australian workforce’ is available from:
Other interesting points mentioned in the report are:
- One in three workers in Australia were born overseas.
- One in five workers currently hold either a temporary or permanent visa.
- Temporary migrants make up 7 per cent of the Australian workforce today.
- Newly-arrived migrants, those who arrived in Australia within the past five years, tend to work fewer hours and earn less than they did a decade ago.
- TSS visa-holders must be paid at least the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT), which has been frozen at $53,900 since 2013.
- Full-time workers earn more, on average, than part-time workers.
- The median full-time worker earns $85,000. The lowest quarter earn below $64,000 and those in the highest quarter earn $116,000 or more.
Average Wage v Median Wage.
This report states the Average Full Time wage as $97,000, which is about 14% higher than the Median wage of $85,000.
Source: Mackey, W., Coates, B., and Sherrell, H. (2022). Migrants in the Australian workforce. Grattan Institute. May 2022.
Thank you to those who have sent me a coffee, it is very much appreciated.
Some Visa Applicants might find an Experienced Australian Migration Agent of great assistance. - ai16