A 134-page Strategic Review of the National Broadband Network [NBN] project, released by the Australian government, shows the following:
- The NBN project is two years behind schedule
- The cost of the NBN has increased from $45bn to $73bn
- The average cost per premises is now $2,100 ??
Further details at: http://ovum.com/2013/12/18/australias-national-broadband-network-is-rebooted/
A$73bn = $73,000,000,000
Population = 23,000,000 approx
$73,000,000,000 divided by 23,000,000 = $3,174 per person (Man, Woman and Child)
The revised NBN plan with a costing of $41bn, works out at $1,782 per person (Man, Woman and Child)
NBN Options for the consumer
Tier 1 a maximum of 12Mbps down and 1Mbps up. (entry level tier)
Tier 2 provide a maximum of 25Mbps down and 5Mbps
Tier 3 provide a maximum of 25Mbps down and 10bps
Tier 4 provide a maximum of 50Mbps down and 20Mbps
Tier 5 provide a maximum of 100Mbps down and 40Mbps
These are example prices from iPrimus at March 2014 (Internet Only)
- Tier 1 – $49.95 pm NBN Fibre Light – Family (100GB + 100GB) + 12Mbps down and 1 Mbps up
- Tier 2 – $59.95 pm NBN Fibre Home – Family (100GB + 100GB) + 25/5 Mbps
- Tier 4 – $69.95 pm NBN Fibre Fast – Family (100GB + 100GB) + 50/20 Mbps
- Tier 5 – $79.95 pm NBN Fibre Intense – Family (100GB + 100GB) + 100/40 Mbps
These are example prices from iiNet at March 2014 (Internet and Phone bundle: 24 month contract))
- Tier 1 – $79.90 pm NBN Residential 2 plan (100GB + 100GB) + 12/1 Mbps turbo pack and Fibre Phone.
- Tier 2 – $84.90 pm NBN Residential 5 plan (100GB + 100GB) + 25/5 Mbps turbo pack and Fibre Phone.
- Tier 4 – $94.90 pm NBN Residential 8 plan (100GB + 100GB) + 50/20 Mbps turbo pack and Fibre Phone.
- Tier 5 – $99.90 pm NBN Residential 11 plan (100GB + 100GB) + 100/40 Mbps turbo pack and Fibre Phone.
The previous fastest option, ADSL2+, has a peak rate of 24 Mbps down but commonly runs at between 8Mbps and 12Mbps for many users. Some of course are faster, and some are slower. This depends on various factors, including the distance from the exchange.
Pricing seems to be higher for the NBN with some providers.
Mine, for example, was $59.80 per month for ADSL2 unlimited Internet and Landline phone bundle.
This is now $59.90 pm for the Tier 1 NBN option, again with unlimited Internet.