The status of Australian citizenship (nationality) was created by the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948, which came into force on 26 January 1949. Prior to that date a person born in Australia was automatically a British subject.
A person that was born in Australia between 26th January 1949 and 19th August 1986, automatically became an Australian citizen by the fact of their birth in Australia.
This changed on the 20th August 1986, when ‘jus soli’ was abolished in Australia.
(‘jus soli’ is Latin for ‘right of soil’ and gives the the right of that country’s Citizenship to anyone born in that country).
To become an Australian citizen after that date, when ‘Jus sanguinis‘ was used instead of ‘jus soli’, the child had to have at least one parent that was an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of the birth.
(‘Jus sanguinis’ is Latin for ‘right of blood’, and is a law by which citizenship is determined only by the nationality of one or both parents).
How do I become a citizen of Australia?.
To become eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship, you need to have legally lived in Australia for 4 years, with a minimum of 3 years actually in the country during that 4 years, and at least 9 months in the country in the year immediately before applying. You must also have held a Permanent resident visa for at least 12 months.
You also need to pass the Australian citizenship test. That is actually quite easy as the majority do pass.
Out of 73,692 applicants in 2017–18, 1,437 failed, (about 2%). Most of these were from humanitarian or refugee visas (English language abilities often let them down). The pass rate for skilled or partner visa holders was much greater, with about 99 out of each 100 passing.
Route to becoming an Australian Citizen.
- Complete the current Residence Requirements.
- Apply for Citizenship.
- Pass the Citizenship Test.
- Attend a Citizenship Ceremony. (At that point you have become a citizen).
Australian Citizenship Page Listings.
- Terms used in the Australian Citizenship Common Bond 29th April 2021
- Australian Citizenship Processing Times for Indian Nationals. 13th March 2021
- Australian Citizenship by Descent 18th February 2021
- The Australian Citizenship Interview 5th February 2021
- Australian Citizenship Processing Times 5th February 2021
- Australian ‘assisted’ Citizenship Test. 20th December 2020
- When Can an Applicant Apply for Citizenship 23rd November 2020
- Citizenship Processing Times Sept 2020 18th November 2020
- The NEW Australian Citizenship Test 18th September 2020
- Australian Citizenship Statistics 29th August 2020
- Australian Citizenship Statistics 2019-20 18th August 2020
- Citizenship Tests to Resume after COVID-19 17th July 2020
- Citizenship Ceremonies to Resume Face to Face 8th June 2020
- Citizenship Processing Times April 2020 22nd May 2020
- Australia Day 2020 Citizenship Conferrals 28th January 2020
- Australian Citizenship Queue January 2020 28th January 2020
- Citizenship Grant Processing Times 2019 28th January 2020
- Does a Permanent Resident of Australia need a Foreign Passport? 16th January 2020
- Travel on Foreign Passport after getting Australian Citizenship 28th October 2019
- Australian Citizenship Application Identity documents 23rd October 2019
- Citizenship Applications and Grants September 2019 18th October 2019
- Is Your Australian Citizenship Finalised? 18th September 2019
- SBS say that 90% of Citizenship Applications take 24 months. 18th September 2019
- Citizenship Applications and Grants July 2019 11th September 2019
- Australian Citizenship Grants 2017-18 26th August 2019
- Difference between Australian Citizen and Permanent Resident 8th July 2019
- Australian Citizenship Application Processing Delays 27th June 2019
- Australian Citizenship for Child Born in Australia to NZ Citizen 28th May 2019
- Australian Passport Cost 2019 22nd May 2019
- Lawful Residence Date for Australian Citizenship 27th April 2019
- Australian Citizenship Residence Requirements 9th March 2019
- Australian Citizenship by Birth or by Grant 12th February 2019
- Australian Citizenship Cost 2019 9th February 2019
- Australian Citizenship Test 4th February 2019
- Australian Citizenship Waiting Times 2018 2nd February 2019
- Reasons for Being Refused Australian Citizenship 27th October 2018
- Birthright Citizenship in Australia 22nd September 2018
- Citizenship of Child born Overseas to Australian PR Visa Holder 2nd June 2018
- Australian Citizenship for a Person Born in Australia 15th February 2018
- Australian Citizenship Residence Requirements from July 2018 14th February 2018
- Australian Citizenship by Birth 12th December 2017
- Dual Citizenship Political Crisis: Court Delays Hearing to October 2017 24th August 2017
- Labor MP’s who may be Dual Citizens 16th August 2017
- Is the Deputy Prime Minister of Australia a New Zealand Citizen 14th August 2017
- Australian Citizenship Legislation Amendment 2017 – Second Reading 10th August 2017
- Matt Canavan, QLD Senator resigns over Dual Citizenship 28th July 2017
- Tony Abbott proves he’s ONLY an Australian 28th July 2017
- Foreign Born Australian Federal Politicians 19th July 2017
- Australian Senators Resign due to Dual Citizenship 19th July 2017
- Foreign Spouse Buying House with Australian Citizen 19th July 2016
- Passport and Visa Costs in Budget 2016-2017 Australia 3rd May 2016
- Baby Born in Australia to Temporary Visa Holder 24th August 2015
- ABCDiamond is now an Australian Citizen 22nd December 2011