Can you travel on a Foreign Passport after getting Australian citizenship?.
Once you become an Australian Citizen, you are no longer the holder of an Australian Permanent Visa.
This means that you cannot normally return to Australia unless you hold an Australian passport. You can of course, leave Australia on any passport.
The basic information from the Dept of Home Affairs is:
A passport is the best way to show that you are an Australian citizen. You might still be able to enter Australia if you are an Australian citizen without an Australian passport, but it will be more difficult. The airline might also stop you from boarding a plane to Australia.
If you present a different passport, you may be refused boarding on flights to Australia by your airline, or experience significant difficulties travelling to Australia.
The reasoning for this is that the airline needs to see your entry visa to Australia. Without being an Australian Citizen, and without a valid re-entry visa, the airline may refuse to let you on the plane.
Your foreign passport would have had a Visa attached to it (electronically), showing you were a Permanent Resident. However, after gaining Australian Citizenship, you no longer have that visa.
How long does it take to apply for a passport?.
Under normal situations, you should allow approximately three weeks to receive a new passport.
There are circumstances that allow for a faster process, where a new passport can sometimes be issued the same day, for an extra charge. However, this Priority processing is only available in Australia and London.
You need to call 131 232 to arrange a lodgement appointment at a passport office. It is stated that appointments are mandatory at all offices.
There are Passport Offices in:
- Adelaide: 5th Floor Allianz House, 55 Currie Street, Adelaide, South Australia.
- Brisbane: 17th floor, 150 Charlotte Street, Brisbane, Queensland.
- Canberra: R G Casey Building, Sydney Avenue, Barton, ACT.
- Darwin: 5th Floor, Northern Territory House, 22 Mitchell Street, Darwin, NT.
- Hobart: Level 1, 111 Macquarie Street, Hobart, Tasmania.
- Melbourne: Tower 3, Level 2, Collins Square, 747 Collins Street, Docklands, Victoria.
- Perth: Level 1, 140 William Street, Perth, WA.
- Sydney: Level 7, 26 Lee Street, Sydney, NSW.
Thank you to those who have sent me a coffee, it is very much appreciated.
Some Visa Applicants might find an Experienced Australian Migration Agent of great assistance. - ai16