Overseas travel from Australia.
COVID-19 Outbound Travel Restrictions.
There is a ban on Australian citizens and Permanent Residents leaving Australia, unless they are granted an exemption to travel, or if travelling to a destination that’s exempt from the ban.
Foreign citizens however, are able to depart Australia at any time.
These rules, from smartraveller.gov.au/COVID-19/leaving-Australia cause a little confusion for some visa holders.
- Foreign citizens are able to depart Australia at any time.
- Permanent Residents are banned from leaving Australia.
- Permanent Residents are Foreign citizens.
One of those rules must override the other.
Partner Visa holders and Outward Travel.
- Subclass 801 is a Permanent Resident, and is included in the ban even though a foreign citizen.
- Subclass 100 is a Permanent Resident, and is included in the ban even though a foreign citizen.
- Subclass 820 is a Temporary Visa holder, and is exempt from the ban, being a foreign citizen.
- Subclass 309 is a Temporary Visa holder, and is exempt from the ban, being a foreign citizen.
- Subclass 300 is a Temporary Visa holder, and is exempt from the ban, being a foreign citizen.
However, if a holder of a temporary visa, having voluntary left Australia during COVID restrictions, wishes to return, there might be an issue in re-entering Australia.
This is mentioned at covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia with this statement:
Temporary visa holders in Australia can depart Australia at any time, however, they will generally not be permitted to return to Australia.
Temporary visa holder Leaving and Returning to Australia.
A temporary visa holder who wishes to leave Australia, and then return, should apply for an inwards exemption before they leave.
However, an inwards exemption will generally only be approved if:
The applicant meets the requirements for an individual exemption from Australia’s Inward Travel Restrictions
They have a strong compassionate or compelling reason to leave Australia supported by relevant documentary evidence.
Thank you to those who have sent me a coffee, it is very much appreciated.