How much is the Jobseeker rate?
A news article today (16 Feb 2021) stated the following.
- The old rate of JobSeeker was frozen for decades, leaving hundreds of thousands of people trapped in poverty,’ Anglicare Australia executive director Kasy Chambers said.
‘When the government raised the rate last year, it righted that wrong.’
That statement might be confusing to some people, as the Jobseeker payment rate has risen every year, for many years, albeit under the old name of Newstart Allowance. The next rise is due in March 2021.
The Australian JobSeeker Allowance, previously called Newstart, is a welfare benefit for the Unemployed. It is increased in line with CPI every year.
Last years rise was nothing special, just an extra $10 per fortnight for a single person.
The current Jobseeker Rates are as shown below, last changed in March 2020, and the March 2019 are shown below that.
March 2020 Jobseeker Rates.
$565.70 Single, no children.
$612.00 Single, with a dependent child or children.
$612.00 Single, aged 60 or over, after 9 continuous months on payment.
$510.80 Partnered (Each).
March 2019 Newstart Rates.
$555.70 Single, no children.
$601.10 Single, with a dependent child or children.
$601.10 Single, aged 60 or over, after 9 continuous months on payment.
$501.70 Partnered (Each)
The March 2021 rate revision is under discussion at the moment.
Previous Newstart rates
March 2018 Newstart Rates.
$545.80 Single, no children
March 2017 Newstart Rates.
$535.60 Single, no children
March 2016 Newstart Rates.
$527.60 Single, no children
Recent Related Posts
- Annual Jobseeker or Newstart increases 2016 to 2021 23rd February 2021
- $50 Jobseeker Increase from April 23rd February 2021
- Confused? JobSeeker or JobKeeper 7th January 2021
- What would a Jobseeker Rise cost Australia. 18th December 2020
- Jobseeker Payment has Not Increased or Reduced 18th December 2020
- Jobseeker Coronavirus Supplement from January 11th November 2020
- Jobseeker / Coronavirus Supplement in 2021 28th October 2020
- Jobseeker Confusion. 20th September 2020
- Jobseeker Requirement Changes Sept 2020. 19th September 2020
- July Update: JobSeeker and Newly Arrived Residents Waiting Period 26th July 2020