Finding the right mobile phone plan to suit you can be a minefield….
Mobile phone plans is not an area that I have that much experience with, being a very low user of mobiles.
One of the current plans in our household costs us $10 per month, and we get $130 worth of calls and texts for that price.
The base costs, to calculate that $130, are:
- Text/SMS 25 cents each
- Calls to landline or mobile in Australia 20 cents per 15 seconds + 30c flagfall
- International landline calls to 21 countries are also 20 cents per 15 seconds + 30c flagfall
How does this compare to yours ?
Is it good value or could we do better ?
But if you know something better, let me know, as I am always happy to investigate changes.
Looking at the lowest priced Non Contract plans;
|Provider||Monthly Charge||Plan value||30 sec call cost||SMS Cost|
19th June 2010
Some example NON-CONTRACT POST PAID plan prices:
$ 9.99 TPG Starter
$10.00 My plan
$12.00 Think Simple 12
$19.00 not named
$ 19.99 TPG Mobil 49 Cap Saver
$ 35.00 3 Mobile $35 Cap
$ 38.10 My Plan
$ 46.07 Not Named
$ 79.99 TPG Executive
$ 99.00 Virgin Mobile $99 plan
$598.10 Gotalk Big Talk Cap 800
$844.61 My Plan
As you can see, my plan appears very good for a Low User, but really bad for a high user. This is actually pretty common with many plans though.
It really does pay to know what your usage is when you are choosing your plan.
Some example PRE-PAID plan prices:
- $13.33 New Just Mobile $15 Prepaid cap
- $14.00 Virgin Mobile Bean Counter Starter pack
- $36.85 not named
- $ 30.00 Go Talk Prepaid Big Talk 30
- $ 39.00 New Just Mobile $39 Prepaid cap
- $ 79.00 Vodafone $79 Flexi Cap Recharge
- $164.10 Vodafone $149 Flexi Cap recharge
- $222.60 Virgin Mobile Bean Counter Starter pack
- $814.18 3 Mobile – $69 Prepaid Cap