Pfizer and AstraZeneca Vaccine Comparison.
Australia has currently arranged to vaccinate the population of Australia, and any visitors to the country, with either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccine.
These vaccinations will be free of charge to the individual recipients. The doctors fee (of between $65 and $75) will also be bulk billed.
COVID-19 Vaccine Supply
Australia has managed to arrange..
- 10 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine and
- 54 million doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.
With two injections per person, that would cover vaccinations for 32 million people.
COVID-19 Vaccine cost per dose.
- Pfizer ~US$20 per dose (A$25)
- AstraZeneca ~US$4 per dose (A$5)
COVID-19 Vaccine total cost.
- Pfizer cost to Australia A$250 million.
- AstraZeneca cost to Australia A$270 million.
COVID-19 Vaccine Storage issues.
- Pfizer needs to be kept at -70˚C (Ultra low temperature)
- AstraZeneca can be kept at 4˚C. (Normal refrigerater temperature)
COVID-19 Vaccine distribution issues.
- Pfizer must be given at a hospital type environment.
- AstraZeneca can be given at a Doctors surgery or at a Pharmacy.