Can I use my Overseas Driver Licence to drive in Western Australia?

Driving in Western Australia.

Driving in Western Australia, as a Visitor, with an Overseas Licence.

  • If you are a visitor to Western Australia (WA), you may drive only those vehicles that you are authorised to drive on your overseas licence, for as long as it remains valid in the country of issue.
  • If your overseas licence is not in English, you must carry an international driving permit or an approved English translation of your licence with you when you drive.
  • if your overseas licence ceases to be valid or expires, you must apply for a WA licence if you intend on driving here.

You may need to prove your genuine visitor status to the Traffic Police, if required.
You need to carry your Driver Licence and English Translation or International Driving Permit at all times while driving.

International Driving Permits.

An International Driving Permit (IDP) or International Drivers Licence is a United Nations sanctioned document that translates your driving classification into nine different languages and is recognised in over 150 countries.

Driving in Western Australia, as a Permanent Resident, with an Overseas Licence.

  • You must get a driver’s licence once you have resided in WA for three months since being granted a permanent resident visa.

Seat Belts in Australia.

Seat Belts are Compulsory in Australia for all occupants of the car.

A passenger who is under 4 years old must not be in the front row of a motor vehicle that has 2 or more rows of seats.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x