By ABCDiamond: I have read that the Irukandji Jellyfish is believed to be the most venomous creature in the world.
This made me wonder, so I checked up on it, especially after reading that in 2002, a 58 year old British tourist, Richard Jordon, was stung by an Irukandji Jellyfish while swimming off the coast and he died a few days later.
This article seems to claim that the Jellyfish was fully responsible for the death. However, I then found another article at source that claims the tourist had a pre-existing medical condition and was taking warfarin to thin his blood. After he was stung, his blood pressure increased which caused a brain haemorrhage leading to his death.
Would this have happened to a healthy person ?
Every year, a number of people are stung by the Irukandji Jellyfish, from only a few to around 200 each year.
How many deaths are actually reported.
I do get the feeling that the tag “the most venomous creature in the world” may not be fully justified…
However, if I felt a sting from anything underwater, I am sure I would be heading for the Hospital, just in case…
Fortunately I live in South East Queensland, and they haven’t travelled down this far yet. In fact, according to one website, stinging jellyfish still haven’t come down past about 500km North of Brisbane yet.