Prime Minister of Australia from 11th Mar 1996 to 23rd Nov 2007
John Winston Howard, born Earlwood, Sydney, NSW on 26 July 1939.
- 1963 Joined the Liberal Party New South Wales State Executive.
- 1972 Served as the NSW State Vice-President of the Liberal party from 1972 to 1974.
- 1974 Became the Liberal member for Bennelong, Sydney, NSW after the House of Representatives General Election on 18 May 1974. A position he held until 2007.
- 1975 Became the Minister for business and consumer affairs.
- 1977 Became the Minister Assisting the Prime Minister and Minister for Special Trade Negotiations.
- 1977 John Howard became the Treasurer of the Liberal Government. A position he held until the General Election of 5 March 1983, when the ALP took over government.
Positions in Opposition:
- 1983 – 1985 Shadow Treasurer and Deputy Liberal Party Leader.
- 1985 – 1989 Leader of the Opposition.
- 1989 – 1995 various Ministerial positions.
- 1995 – 1996 Leader of the Opposition.
General Elections won by John Howard as Liberal Leader and Prime Minister.
- 2 March 1996
- 3 October 1998
- 10 November 2001
- 9 November 2004
General Elections lost by John Howard as Liberal Leader.
- 24 November 2007
More… John Howard