Travel Exemption Request Statistics August 2020 to April 2021.
Between 1 August 2020 and 25 April 2021 there were 208,791 Outbound travel requests lodged, for Citizens and visa holders to leave Australia.
Main destinations for the 208,791 Outbound travel requests.
- 25,443 to go to India
- 21,547 to go to China
- 15,703 to go to United Kingdom
- 15,633 to go to United States of America
- 9,713 to go to Pakistan
- 8,928 to go to New Zealand
- 6,281 to go to Singapore
- 4,650 to go to Papua New Guinea
- 4,187 to go to Indonesia
- 4,073 to go to Canada
119,922 of these Outbound travel requests were approved.
- 71,249 being for compelling reason requiring 3 months or more outside Australia.
- 28,391 being for other compassionate or compelling reasons.
- 18,797 being for Critical, urgent or unavoidable business reasons.
- 669 being for medical treatment
Main destinations for the 119,922 Outbound travel request grants.
- 12,793 to go to China, 59.37% of those that applied.
- 11,714 to go to India, 46.04% of those that applied.
- 10,703 to go to United Kingdom, 68.16% of those that applied.
- 8,847 to go to United States of America, 56.59% of those that applied.
- 5,340 to go to New Zealand, 59.81% of those that applied.
- 4,760 to go to Pakistan, 49.01% of those that applied.
- 3,656 to go to Singapore, 58.21% of those that applied.
- 3,052 to go to Papua New Guinea, 65.63% of those that applied.
- 2,850 to go to Canada, 69.97% of those that applied.
- 2,213 to go to Indonesia, 52.85% of those that applied.
17,017 outbound travel requests not required.
17,017 of these outbound travel requests were found to be not required as the applicants were already automatically exempt.
- 12,909 of them were exempt due to being ordinarily resident outside Australia.
- 2,383 were exempt due to being New Zealand citizens on a 444 temporary visa.
- 911 were exempt due to being holders of other temporary visas.
Source: Freedom of Information: FA-21/05/00347