Does anyone know why chocolate is so much more expensive in Australia than it is in the UK ?
Some examples of prices:
- $ 1.99 Cadbury Flake 30g
- $ 1.99 Frys Turkish Delight 55g
- $ 1.99 Cadbury Boost 60g
These are all shown at the Woolworth’s website 5th Sept 2009.
All three about the equivalent of 1 each.
Then we have the blocks of Chocolate:
- $ 4.30 Green & Blacks 85% Dark 100g
- $ 4.30 Cadbury Old Gold Jamaica Rum N Raisins 200g
- $ 4.30 Kit Kat Dark 170g
- $ 3.76 Lindt Excellence 70% Dark Chocolate 100g
- $ 4.84 Lindt Creations 70% Orange 150g
Is the cost difference due to the economies of scale, not as many being sold due to a smaller population ?
Or is it due to profit taking by the Australian Distributors ?
Even when specials are available, are the Australian prices much more than UK ?
- $ 0.99 Mars bar
- $ 5.99 Mars Celebrations 195g
- $ 5.99 Cadbury Favourites 300g