HELP and TSL debts and Moving Overseas

New repayment obligations for Australians living overseas with a HELP or TSL debt..

The Australian Government has introduced new repayment obligations for Aussies living overseas who have a Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP) or Trade Support Loan (TSL) debt.

From 1 January 2016, people with HELP and TSL debts who move overseas for six months or more will be required to notify the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

From 1 July 2017, people with HELP or TSL debts who are non-residents for tax purposes will be required to assess their total Australian and foreign-sourced income in order to make income contingent repayments.

This will start from the 2016-17 financial year.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x