Working Rights from WHV to Partner Visa

Getting Longer Working Rights on WHV when applying for Partner Visa.

If you hold a Working Holiday (subclass 417) or Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa, you are normally limited to a maximum period of 6 months’ work with any one employer. If you work longer than 6 months without permission, you are in breach of your visa conditions.

When you apply for a Partner Visa, you will normally be given a Bridging Visa A, and this will normally mean you will still have the same working rights as your previous visa, the 417 or 462 in this case.  You will not have full working rights.

Those working restrictions will remain until that visa expires, and the new visa BVA takes over.

However, there can be exceptions, and you can sometimes be given permission to work longer, when applying for a Partner Visa.

The Immigration website quotes:

  • Requests for permission to work longer than 6 months are only approved in limited circumstances.
  • Your request to extend the employment period may be approved where you:
    have applied for another visa in Australia that would let you continue to work for your employer full time and are waiting for our decision.


Agoda Hotel Bookings
Sponsor ai10…/bridging-visa-a…/work-longer-than-6-months

Donations Welcome
$5.00 for a cup of coffee will keep me going.
Thank you to those who have sent me a coffee, it is very much appreciated.

Donations ai-8

The information we give is based on personal experiences, reading and formulation of available statistics.
Some Visa Applicants might find an Experienced Australian Migration Agent of great assistance. - ai16

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x