Registered Relationship Issues in Australia

How Does a Registered Relationship affect Partners?.

Some couples who live together in Australia, but who choose not to get married, might Register their relationship with their local State Government.  This is common with some couples who are applying for a Partner Visa for one of them to stay permanently in Australia.

It might be important for them to understand some of the legal issues about a Registered Relationship, especially as some of the choose the Registered Relationship instead of marriage to avoid the legal issues of marriage.

  • A registered relationship is just like a marriage, and anything acquired before, during, or after separation, whether owned jointly or individually, can become part of the couples net asset pool to be divided on separation.
  • A registered relationship or civil union may create rights for property division, even though you may not have lived together for two years.

Ending a Registered Relationship.

Western Australia: You need to apply to the Family Court of Western Australia to resolve issues relating to children or property.

Other Australian states: You apply to the Family Court or the Federal Circuit Court. Your situation will be determined in the same manner as for a married couple during a divorce.

Donations Welcome
$5.00 for a cup of coffee will keep me going.
Thank you to those who have sent me a coffee, it is very much appreciated.

Donations ai-8

The information we give is based on personal experiences, reading and formulation of available statistics.
Some Visa Applicants might find an Experienced Australian Migration Agent of great assistance. - ai16

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x