How much do you need to get a Student Visa in Australia?.
The first cost of getting a Student Visa in Australia is normally considered to be the Application fee. This is often $575 for the subclass 500 visa.
But, there are many more costs…
Every Student Visa applicant needs to have enough money, genuinely available to them, to cover all costs incurred in being an International Student in Australia.
- Course fees: Normally you need enough to cover the first 12 months of your study course.
- Travel costs: You will be expected to have between A$2,000 and $3,000 available for this.
- Living costs: You need sufficient for you and your accompanying family members.
- Children’s schooling costs: If you have school age children with you, you need an additional A$8,000 for each child’s schooling cost.
Living costs for Australian Student Visa.
From 1 February 2018, the 12 month living cost is calculated at:
Student/guardian – $20,290
Partner/spouse – $7,100
Per child – $3,040
You may need to provide specified documentary evidence of your financial capacity with your visa application.
Genuine access to funds.
You must demonstrate that you will have access to the funds needed while you are in Australia on a student visa.
Some ways to show this include:
- Money in the bank, be ready to explain any recent large deposits.
- Financial support from a relative or friend, but proof of relationship is often needed.
- Education loan, with evidence of the terms of the loan attached to the application.
- Evidence of collateral used to get any loans being used for this purpose.
Being able to earn while studying is not always possible for some students, and even those that do, may not earn a lot.
Australia is an expensive country to live in, only possible with a decent income, or enough capital to live on.
Permanent Residency after graduation is NOT guaranteed.
If it is your intention to stay in Australia permanently, you may be refused a Student Visa.