How to Register a Relationship in Australia.
Registering a Relationship in Australia needs to be done in the State that you live in, or at least one member of the couple lives in.
Each Australian state has its own rules on this.
Some need both parties to live in their state, while others can register the relationship, even if one lives overseas.
Register a Relationship in South Australia.
You can register your relationship if you are 18 years of age or older and in a relationship with another person as a couple. At least one of you must live in South Australia. Couples may apply irrespective of their sex or gender identity.
Register a Relationship in Australian Capital Territory.
Register a Relationship in New South Wales.
The NSW Relationship register provides legal recognition for adults in a relationship, provided at least one of them lives in NSW.
Register a Relationship in Queensland.
You need to be 18 or older and at least 1 partner must live in Queensland.
Register a Relationship in Tasmania.
You can register a significant relationship in Tasmania if you are a couple who both live in Tasmania.
Register a Relationship in Victoria.
In Victoria, you can register a domestic relationship between two adults who are a couple if:
You’re both at least 18 years old, and one party lives in Victoria.
Both of you need to take part in registering the relationship:
- Partner 1 completes their part of the application.
- We email Partner 2.
- Partner 2 completes their part.
Register a Relationship in Western Australia.
It seems not possible bdm.justice.wa.gov.au
Register a Relationship in Northern Territory.
It seems not possible nt.gov.au/law/bdm
More about a Registered Relationship in Australia.
- Registered Relationships in Victoria 30th June 2021
- Registered Relationships in South Australia 30th June 2021
- Registered Relationship Issues in Australia 7th December 2019
- Relationship Period for De Facto Relationship 7th December 2019
- Cost of Registered Relationships in Australia 2nd December 2019
- What is a De Facto Relationship for Immigration 1st May 2019
- What is a De facto Relationship 4th March 2018
- Queensland Registered Relationship – Civil Partnership 28th March 2016
Thank you to those who have sent me a coffee, it is very much appreciated.
Some Visa Applicants might find an Experienced Australian Migration Agent of great assistance. - ai16