Why does an Australian Permanent Resident need a Resident Return Visa [RRV].
A Resident Return Visa is the Visa that allows a Permanent Resident to travel back into Australia.
When a new immigrant arrives in Australia they are given a FIVE year travel facility. This means they can travel in and out of Australia for the next FIVE years.
If they still need to travel overseas after that initial FIVE year period they need to obtain another Visa, a Resident Return Visa [RRV].
There are TWO options for this RRV.
Subclass 157 Resident Return visa that allows you to travel overseas for a period of THREE MONTHS.
This RRV will normally be given to people who have spent less than two years in the past five years in Australia, but at least one day in the past five years in Australia
Subclass 155 Resident Return visa that normally allows you to travel overseas for a period of FIVE YEARS, although in some cases just ONE year or less.
This RRV will normally be given to people who have spent at least two years of the past five years in Australia.
The RRV is not an automatic right.
If you have been living outside Australia for more than three continuous months immediately before applying, you must also show that you were absent for a compelling and compassionate reason.
If you are granted a Subclass 155 Resident Return visa on the basis of your substantial ties of benefit to Australia, then your travel facility will be for a year from the date of the grant.
If you are granted a Subclass 155 Resident Return visa because you are a family member of a person who holds a Subclass 155, or who has also applied for Resident Return Visa and satisfies criteria for grant, then your travel facility will be for either a year or less than a year from date of grant.
The wording “compelling reasons” is seen many times in the rules and regulations for an RRV.
The best “compelling reason” is to show that you normally live in Australia.
More Pages about the Resident Return Visa:
- Subclass 157 processing times in March 2022. 4th May 2022
- Subclass 155 processing times in March 2022. 4th May 2022
- RRV Expired, Returning to Australia. 5th April 2022
- What is an Australian Resident Return visa? 12th May 2021
- Australian Permanent Resident Travel Facility. 12th May 2021
- Resident Return Visa RRV Reminder 11th May 2021
- How Long does it take to get a Resident Return Visa 25th July 2019
- What is the Cost of a Resident Return Visa 25th July 2019
- How Long does a Resident Return Visa last? 25th July 2019
- What are the requirements for a Resident Return Visa 25th July 2019
- Do I need a Resident Return Visa 25th July 2019
- What is a Resident Return Visa 25th July 2019
- Does an Australian Permanent Resident need a Resident Return Visa [RRV] 25th July 2019
- Australian Permanent Residents and Resident Return Visa 2nd July 2019
Thank you to those who have sent me a coffee, it is very much appreciated.
Some Visa Applicants might find an Experienced Australian Migration Agent of great assistance. - ai16